Monday, March 5, 2012

Quilt As You Go

     I think I've made it clear that my least favorite part of quilting is the actual quilting so I jumped on the quilt as you go method as soon as I saw it.

    The original method was to quilt each block as you completed it.  Then you set the blocks together as they are finished.  Which creates the problem of setting all those blocks together neatly.  I've adapted this method by dividing the quilt top into quarters, quilting each quarter, then setting them together in the final quilt.  This makes it easier to manipulate the quilt through the machine.

     A second quilt as you go method is to quilt as you piece the block.  I like this method even though I have the setting the blocks together at the end problem, which I will cover in my next blog.

      This block has several names, Economy, Hour Glass, This and that, Thrift Block and Shoofly, all of which indicate a scrap quilt.  I would make this a 6" or 8" block.  Once you have decided on block size, cut a square of batting 1" larger and a backing square 2" larger than the finished block.  Mark as shown below to find center for aligning first patch.

     Position the center square on the batting/backing square.  Lay the uppper left half square triangle, right sides together, over the center square.  Stitch in place.  Open out and position upper right triangle in place, right sides together and stitch.  Continue around the square until all pieces are sewn.  The block is done.

Important:  Do not stitch beyone the seam line.  The seams must be left free in order to join the blocks together.




          Although I haven't tried it, I think this method could be adapted to paper pieced quilts.

No comments:

Post a Comment