Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Quilt As You Go - Joining the Blocks

1.  Fold batting and backing back from seam line.  Pin if desired.

2.  Join two pieced blocks together.  Continue joining blocks in rows as wide as required.

3.  Trim batting even with seam line.  Trim backing on right hand side to slightly overlap seam line. 

4.  Bring backing from left side to cover seam and edge of batting/backing.  Fold under seam allowance and pin in place. 

5.  Sew down the edge either by hand or machine. 

6.  Join rows together in the same manner.

     I like to finish the back by laying lattice strips over the seams.

     The finishing by this method is time consuming so I have adapted the concept.  I divide the finished top into quarters and quilt each quarter.  This makes it easier to manipulate in the machine without having to fight the weight of the entire quilt.  After quilting all four quarters, I then join them together as above.

     My only problem with this method is that I am so anxious to see the finished top I join it together just to look, then I have to go back and rip out the seams to do the quilting.  I guess I need to learn patience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment