Friday, March 1, 2013

March Garden To Dos

Date of Last Frost:  May 15
Weeks to Last Frost:  10

Things to Do This Month

     Prepare ground when possible
     Continue pruning and pest control applications
     Remove mulches from early bulbs
     Clean up winter debris
     Plant or divide rhubarb
     Plant asparagus, strawberries, fruit trees and berry bushes
     Sow seeds of plants requiring 8 weeks to transplant size
     If not planted in the fall, plant garlic as soon as you can work the soil.

My Spring Planting Guide tells  me that I can set out boccoli, brusels sprouts, cabbage, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, onion seeda, gaarden peas, shallots and turnips, 4 to 6 weeks before last frost date.  This means that I want to plant them indoors 4-6 weeks before their set out date to have plants large enough for transplant. 

I use jiffy pellets to sow the seeds, then place them inside a lidded plastic container.  These containers are used to package produce, cheese, meals, and my favorite is the one my supermarket uses for rotissorie chicken.  Once planted, I place them on top of the refrigerator, I get germination within five days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment