Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Daydreaming

     I am going off topic today  because I've been thinking of my youngest son, J.R.  He is 24 yers old and is serving a 10 year prison term.  I visit him once a week and he calls a couple times, but he sent me the following letter and even though it is a prison setting, I thought of all our servicemen and women, as well as anyone who is away from home.  Hope you enjoy it.

                                   A Letter
     You never will know what a letter can mean,
Until you've been where I've been and seen what I've seen
     I'm confined to a world behind four brick walls,
Where no one can see me and where no one can call
     Often I sleep but I awake alarmed,
Worried that my loved ones or friends have been harmed.
     Thank God it's just a dream, as I come to my senses,
I look out the window but still I see barbwire fences.
     Somehow I keep making it through the day
Awaiting the mail call, but nothing for me they always say
     Not a letter, a note, or even a card
When nobody writes times really seem hard
     Just a line or two to say everything is fine,
Just a few small words to ease my mind,
     Kind words, well wishes, knowing you're there,
Anything at all to show me you care.
     You never will know what a letter can mean,
Until you've been where I've been and seen what I've seen.
                                                   Joseph R. London
    

No comments:

Post a Comment